Monday, August 9, 2010

"I'm home from my adventure......GO MEAT!"

That was some much needed time off........I came home much more refreshed and feeling better about life. More in control. My spirit and soul needed it more than you can imagine.
But I didn't really relax much......I'm not sure I know how.
But I had a GREAT time. Erin was a great travel companion. We definately can plan another trip together!!!! Thanks again for such a great adventure...... And one of the reasons we traveled so well together..........is we shopped our way up to the airport. hahhaaaa...........We bought shoes at Bridgeport (this is one of my new fabulous pairs) and stopped at Kohl's in Salem and bought jewelry. Hey, we don't have sales tax in Oregon so we bought some bling before we left the state. (my earring were $2.00 and my bling-bling bracelet was $6.00....clearance, of coarse).
This hotel was amazing. The most luxurious hotel I have ever stayed in. We had a living room with couches and chairs, french doors to the bedroom, marble bathroom (phone in the bathroom), balcony overlooking the pool and turndown service at night with chocolates left on the pillow as well as a bathrobe and the weather forcast for the next day. Really.........can these people come home with me?(Oh and they did have coffee.....lol)
This is the indoor pool. But why would you want to be inside when you can be outside???? But it's pretty.................

View from our balcony. We would sit out there and watch the lightening storms every night.
The first night we got there we had a dinner/cocktail event to attend. GO MEAT. (Hillshire Farms was one of the sponsors and the Go Meat coaster were a joke of our entire trip.) And it's funny to say it.......Food was good. And there were lots of cupcakes. When you go to a food trade show, all you do is eat. Oh, and drink..............................
After we had our "all-you-can-eat-meat" extravaganaza.......................we went down to one of the many lounges in the hotel. I had a yummy white cosmo. Had never heard of it, so I had to try it. Mmmmmm..I think I like it more than a regular cosmo..........(bartender said was white cranberry juice, and they put frozen grapes in the bottom of the glass....and I bought some tonight when I went grocery shopping to make some for my birthday.) And we learned that Utah has some crazy laws. If you are in a bar and order alcohol you HAVE to order some kind of food. Even if you don't eat it, you have to order it. Really???? We just came from the meat extravaganza............so I asked for the cheapest thing on the menu.............mixed nuts for $3.00 (and bring a to-go bag, cause we aren't hungry!) And you can't have 2 drinks with hard alcohol in your hand or in front of you on the table? Weird......just makes you drink more, faster.......hahaha. And their drinks are WEAK! And I think I had the case of altitude sickness.....Had upset/queasy stomach/headache most of the time we were there. (Oh, and it got worse when we drove up to Park City, and our crazy driver (Mike), and continued on from our flight home.) And it wasn't the drinks..................they were even weak for a lightweight like me.This is where I spent most of my time when Erin was in meetings. I didn't sleep well at all. And between the time change/travel and staying up until 1:00 am like a teenager texting my husband every nite, I didn't get much sleep. I was pretty anti-social to all other texts (sorry) and ignored my phone and was happy when the battery died. I, instead, layed by the pool. Didn't read. Just sat and watched the black clouds roll in. Gathered my stuff and moved under cover when the thunder, lightening and rain came. About every 2 hours. Ate sweet potato fries and fish tacos. And the most refreshing water I have ever had. A big glass pitcher with strawberries and pineapple..........
They had music on. Only about 10 people at the pool because everyone else was in meeting. hahahaa....
And I joked before I left town that I would have a cabana boy named Paco or Jose.............No joke...............my poolboy was named Jose...............I almost peed my pants when I saw his nametag.............he was really sweet.....and cute.........and good at predicting the weather. When he came out and folded down all the umbrellas and cushions and said a monsoon rain would be here in the next 10 minutes......he was right everytime. So I would run for cover.
And then the sun would come back out and all was well. I would change loungechairs for different scenery............Luxury.....................have I said how nice the hotel was???
In this picture it is pouring down rain. I didn't mind. Made me feel at home. And it wasn't cold. So I would just move under cover and watch it rain.
I even had birthday cake at the pool. (Not my cake and not my birthday!) 2 nice ladies (about my age) were down there with their kids with gifts, cake and birthday fun. I offered to take pics with all of them so they were all in the pic. And when the cake came out we (all 3 of us at the pool besides them) sang happy birthday and ate cake............
Tuesday night we had a free evening. LeRoy and I have some friends in Salt Lake that offered to take us out and show us the town. Mike and Angie............you were the best. Thanks so much. Loved our tour. Didn't care for the Nascar-ride to Park City. You are lucky I didn't puke in your car...

They drove us up to Park City, Utah. About 35 minutes out of Salt Lake City. Fabulous place. I loved it. I wish my family could have been there too. But they weren't...............so we walked around...........and drank...........and ate............and drank.............went from bar to bar. Kind of like a pub crawl. I don't think any of us were crawling by the end of the night???? Altitude there was about 7000 feet......I was nervous about feeling even worse....but a good raspberry lemon drop will take care of it................
We parked the car and started walking. Our 1st stop was the "No Name Saloon"......aka.....biker bar..............it should have tipped us off with all the Harley's parked out front??? We sat on the rooftop and had drinks. So fun. And so funny when we left because Mike looked like a pimp walking out with us 3 hotties..............I watched every single guy at the bar watch us walk out.......Hilarious..............and we made it out alive.......
We did go into a few shops. So many fabulous shoes and clothes. Would love to have had more time and money. So instead we headed down to Easy Street. The cutest, quaintest street I've ever been on. I loved it.
I can't imagine how beautiful this place is in the winter with snow. We saw a lot of venues on the way up to Park City that hosted the 2002 Winter Olympics.
They had suede couches outside and everything was wrapped in lightes. So pretty. We had drinks there too. I want to live on this little patio right here...........but then we went back into the city and went to an outside bar on Greene Street. Like I said..................weak drinks..............

So our last day we checked out of the hotel and had 2 hours before we were getting picked up for the airport. So we decided to be daring and hop on the TRAX train and go to the Temple. We walked around Temple Square and it was beautiful (but hot!)
Is it appropriate to be taking sexy pictures on the fountain right below the Mourmon Temple? Oh well.................we thought we were funny..............hahhaaaa
And if I wasn't feeling queasy enough.............our flight out of Salt Lake was a bumpy one. Oh, in a lightening storm. Erin compared it to the ride on top of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas. Not good.
But we made it home safely. And I had a very warm welcome from my family when I got home. They missed me :) And my sweet husband had turndown service waiting for me in my own bed.
Clean sheets. A rose. Chocolates. and a very lovely card.............
And I was texting him on the way home and he asked what I wanted to eat when I got there. The only thing I wanted was chips and salsa from my favorite mexican place. And I was waiting for me when I got home too. Thanks Leroy.......................
(Since I missed burrito Tuesday with my Bff, I needed some salsa!) And Bff, thanks for taking my girl out to lunch when I was gone........
Was a fun time. Enjoyed the city. Enjoy my peeps. Great getting to visit with Mike and Angie.
Was a bummer I had to come back to work and reality on Friday. Nicole had hoop jam all weekend. And she has bronchitus (my kids ALWAYS get sick before I leave town!) And LeRoy came into my work on Friday and asked me out on a date for Saturday. Sweet...........but we all ended up going out as a family. I missed them......
Glad to be home.
I came home stronger and whole again. I need to take more time out for myself. Try and relax a little more. Maybe be a little selfish every once in awhile. "Me" time has been non-existant in my life. I've decided I need it................

1 comment:

Donna said...

Sounds like a good time. I would be all for the cabana boy and the pool, well and the cosmos and the food and ok, well ALL of it!