Sunday, May 8, 2011

"my first 5K!!!"

About a month ago........I get a text from my sister Donna.... "Do you want to do a 5k on May 7th?". I respond back "SURE! Sign me up! ". And then I figured I should ask some details. Paid my fees and told her to make sure we ordered shirts! Was held at Cheadle Lake outside of Lebanon on Saturday, May 7, 2011 at 9:00 am............... So a couple of days later my sister texts me again and says "I signed up the kids to do the 5k with us.". Great! The more the merrier!!

Of coarse I was rainy and cold on race day! We didn't mind. We made sure to get lots of pics. And of coarse the kids were whining.............."Why are you taking so many pictures?!". Our response was "because we are your mothers and that's what we do!!!" We got there around 8:15 am to pick up our race packets, shirts and numbers...........We felt so cool and official having a race number. hahaa! And had lots of time before the race so we took more pictures....hahaha


My sister is getting so skinny!!!! And she looks GREAT! Keep up the good work sista!





There were 217 racers and my sis and I came in about the middle of the pack.

And if you notice I have never said we RAN the 5k!!! We walked.....................someday we will be runners! The kids all ran it and did great! Was so much fun and we plan on doing it again next year. Just started a new tradition with the kids!

Gunner started off with us but decided we were too slow, so he took off running. Nicole and Drake took off from the start line.

Drake placed 52 nd......with a time of 31.02 (with a pace of 10.00 min. mile)

Nicole placed 56 th.......with a time of 31.17 (with a pace of 10.05 min. mile)

Gunner placed 72 nd....with a time of 34.30 (with a pace of 11.06 min. mile)

Donna and I placed 125 & 126 with times of 48.21 & 48.22 (with a pace of 15.34 min. mile) and we walked, so that's decent times!

(Drake and Nicole)

Once we rounded the corner and could see the finish line.....We stepped it up and took off running! (and I decided that we really needed to finish before the lady with the baby stroller in front of us........so we passed her!) And for some odd reason my sister told me later that she just didn't want to finish last place. Come on sista..........we would never let that happen! And we did great!



Yay!!!!!!!!!! We did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a great time. I'm so proud of the kids too! For participating with us and for getting great finish times!

And my darling daughter WON 1st PLACE in her age division! Good job Nicole. (she beat her 5k time from a run last year by over a minute!)


The rain held off when we first got there but by halfway thru it was pouring buckets!!!! But we didn't mind. We had some awesome family bonding that no amount of rain could put a damper on............

Good job Gunner, Nicole and Drake......(Tyler wasn't interested so we left him home in bed! lol).


We finished and got our ribbons. And they announced our names and times as we crossed the finish line. That was kind of cool.

Nicole with all the WINNERS! So proud of my girl............


So we head back to my sisters and the kids had other things to do. They were headed to a baseball tourney to do concessions. So all 3 of them piled into Nicole's car and took off.........Really???? When did that happen? So Mark and Donna took me home. All 3 of us adults were in one car and all 3 of our kids were in another car.........without us.............still so strange to me! Donna and Mark were kind of shell shocked too. How/when did OUR kids get that old? They all made it home safely so I guess that's all we can ask for.........

Well sista..............I had a great morning! Thanks for the fun and the memories (and the buttocks workout!). Maybe we will train for the next one and actually RUN IT!

My adorable (runner) friend Erin sent me a text about 1/2 hour after we finished and said "you look cute even after walking 3.1 miles in the rain." I texted her back and said "how would you know???? we just got done and I haven't posted any pics yet?" My sister had already posted a pic on facebook :) And since everyone knows I don't do facebook...........but I'm glad she posted our accomplishment.

And my adorable friend Erin is RUNNING a Half Marathon today (you go girl), so good luck to you! And when we talked Friday I told her we were only doing a 5k, she was sweet and said "you've got to start somewhere!" I see how it could become addictive. And for some reason most of the new people I have met recently are RUNNERs. I mean full on marathon runners. Crap..........am I going to have to start running? hahahaha...

Good job sister. I love ya and had a great time and can't wait to do it again!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Holy cow, we think too much alike!! It was fun, even though it did rain, I think we could have ran more of it (UMM Foster 5k June 4???? up for it???) I am really proud of the kids and I am glad they wnat to do it again! Glad we did it and have pics to show for it!!