Sunday, August 31, 2008

"homemade granola"


The other night at 10:00 pm (late I know, and I had to go to work the next day!!!) I was browsing thru a cookbook (weird I know) and I came across this recipe for homemade granola. I had all of the ingredients and decided to give it a try. It was raining outside, so I opened up my kitchen window and started assembling my ingredients. This is my "version" (I strayed a bit from the original) and my house smelled wonderful! It turned out GREAT and I will make it a regular food that I make. The kids loved it as well. Here is the recipe.
Granola
3 c. regular oats, uncooked
1/2 c. flaked coconut
1 c. salted cashews (I left them whole)
1/4 c. wheat germ
1/4 c. sunflower seed kernels
1/4 c. + 2 TBSP honey
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 1/2 TBSP water
2 TBSP brown sugar
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
(next time I will try adds such as dried cranberries, etc as the seasons change. I don't like raisins in my granola, but some people might. Adjust to your families likes.)
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir well, set aside.
Combine honey and the rest of the ingred.; pour over oat mix and stir well. Spread mix evenly on a cookie sheet (with a lip).
Bake at 350 for 25 min or until golden brown, stirring every 5 minutes. Cool. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 month. Yields 5 1/2 c. YUMMM....

1 comment:

{marie} said...

only you would have wheat germ on hand......