Sunday, July 12, 2009

"happy 4th of July.....a week later"

For lots of years we normally go to our good friends the Bagenski's for the 4th of July. This year we went to the coast and missed the party at their house. So we decided to celebrate last night (just a week late) with a very impromtu BBQ. (actually I texted and invited us down!) Mark just finished his last round of chemo (yay!!).
So we decided to keep it casual. Burgers, hot dogs, chips and I brought down a bottle of my favorite wine for Becky to try. I only brought ONE bottle. Well once we finished that we decided we needed more. We sent the guys and the teenagers (dont judge us!) to the store for a "few" more bottles, (once again, don't judge). Their dog Molly loved Nicole. Nicole carried her around the entire night. They want to breed her and Nicole wants a puppy. Hmmmmm.....she will have to talk to her dad about that one.
We got a tour of their neighbors lovely home. Here is a view (Bagenskis house is on the left). Beautiful.....................

We had good conversations with the girls. Talked about tatoos, peircings, boys, college, drinking (ha!), and they made brownies and we didn't tell the boys and we all ate the entire pan! shhh. don't tell anyone and again, don't judge!
After about 3 bottles of wine, some slushie thingy and some pom martini thingy (lol) we ended up downstairs in Gracies room with all the kids. They were playing and laughing and being loud and all of a sudden they all took off because the big boys were gonna light off fireworks. Gracie (age 4) comes back into her room and looks at us mamas laying on her bed with our wine and gives us an evil laugh, turns off the lights and runs away.
So we layed on her bed, in the dark, visiting. Some time later LeRoy comes in an makes fun of us.
Like I was gonna get up and turn the light back on.
Actually by then I could have just fallen asleep.
So we go back up to the kitchen and Becky busts out these homemade doughnut holes her mom made in the morning. OMG. So good (after we had devoured an entire pan of brownies, stop judging me!). So I MUST have this recipe and write it down.
Not sure why I needed it on my forehead, but whatever.
So her mom happens to text her while were eating donuts. By now its about 11:30 pm. So we have the bright idea that nana can make us some FRESH doughnuts. RIGHT NOW! She only lives around the corner and was up so she said come on over. Is she crazy?
(Becky, I don't want to hear a word about this pic. I told you when I took it that it was goin up on my blog!!!!!!! :)
So all 10 of us (plus the dog, she didn't want to get left behind) pile in the mini-van. No seatbelts, LeRoy driving, kids giggling their pants off, and the dog (oh, and Becky thought we needed 2 more bottles of wine). (which we DID NOT drink! I know my limit and switched to water!)
Off we go to nana's.
It was like an episode of COPS.
We all pile out of the van (no one was wearing shoes either???) and bust in for doughnuts. Debbie already had the batter ready and oil heated. She rocks. So we ate warm, fresh, yummy, homemade doughnut holes at midnight. The kids were WOUND UP. I think they had been drinking soda and all that sugar from the doughnuts. And we were keeping such a good eye on them! Luckily they live up on a hill with only 2 neighbors it's like living out in the country. They can keep an eye on themselves!
Nana didn't seem phased at all with the chaos, kids running around, dogs barking, adult mom's a little tipsy and frying dough at 12:00 midnight.
We had a great visit, the kids ran around and were a little wild and we got home about 2 am.
So glad Mark is done with chemo. On the road to recovery.! Next time we go down I think I might bring a 2 liter of diet pepsi. :)

2 comments:

Susanne P. said...

sorry, i know this is your blog but holy doughnut shitballs! you guys had about the strangest night i have heard of. wine w/ brownies? eewwww..... (not judging).

Missy said...

Oh, I have had stranger nights than that. lol. I am not eating today to make up for the 500,000 calories I consumed over the weekend!