Sunday, October 4, 2009

"muffins, quilts and the lost shoe"

This is a very random post. But I am random sometimes, so it works!
I took a quilting class about 8 years ago with my sister Donna. I made this pumpkin quilt and have had the top done for, ummmmm, about 8 years. I forgot (and don't have the time or patience) how to sew the borders, finish the backing and machine quilt it.
I just like to make the quilt tops.
And when I garden I don't like to weed, just plant the flowers.
And I don't like to make cupcakes or cookies but just like to decorate them. So I guess it fits my personality.
So last year I BEGGED my mom to finish it for me. We went to the fabric store and picked it all out. Then my grandma got sick and my mom spent a lot of time taking care of her.
So this year I overheard her saying she was going to sew something for my sister so I didn't let that one go. I called her (and begged again) for her to dig out my quilt and please, please, please finish it. She finished it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy, happy day. I LOVE IT. SO MUCH. Makes me SO happy. Thanks mom!!! It looks great. Means more to me than you know. Doesn't take much to make me happy. I have been using it every single day. And it's fall so it's perfect.........................
So here is another random post about my shoe.
I wore these to work on Friday. After work I had some errands to run and luckily I had a pair of flip-flops in my car. My feet thanked me for that. So these shoes were left in the car (drives my hubs crazy if ANYTHING is left in the car). Saturday morning Nicole had a volleyball tourney in Portland and they had to be at the high school at 5:45 am. yikes that's early.
So later in the morning I went out to my car to look for an umbrella cause we were headed to Jessie's wedding later and I didn't know if it would rain. So I was going to take my shoes in the house so I didn't "get in trouble" from hubs for leaving my shoes in the car. lol.
There was only 1 shoe. I looked under the car. Under the seat. No pair. Just one lonely shoe.
So I thought "crap, Nicole got out of the car this morning early in the pitch dark at the high school". My shoe must have gotten kicked out in the parking lot. I was leaving in about an hour to go pick up Kam for the wedding. So Tyler and I pick her up and tell her the story and that we are going to run by the high school in hopes the poor, lonely shoe is still there.
We pull in the parking lot and don't see the shoe. Dang. I liked those shoes. Oh well, it's just a shoe.
Until we get closer and it is gloriously perched (yes, this is exactly how we found it!!) on this pole. In the high school parking lot. Just waiting for me. We were hysterical laughing in the car. I had to take a pic and share this story. What are the chances?? Thanks to whom-ever saved my shoe. Here it is in all it's glory. (I texted hubs at work before I went to the school to look for it and his response was "well why were your shoes left in the car in the 1st place". whatever...............

So everyone knows I HATE TO BAKE. I don't know why. I love to cook and spend hours in the kitchen, but baking is not my thing. I will make homemade from scratch applesauce, tortilla chips, granola, spaghetti sauce, soup, etc. but don't like to bake.
But..............................................I found an awesome, healthy muffin recipe that only makes 1 dozen. So only one time in the oven and I'm done. My kids LOVED them. So did I. So yummy I had to share! (great texture too)
Oat Bran Muffins
2 c Quaker Oat Bran hot cereal, uncooked
1/4 c packed brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. skim milk
2 egg whites, slightly beaten
1/4 c. honey
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
cinnamon
1 med. mashed ripe banana
Heat oven to 425. Line 12 muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray bottoms only with no-stick cooking spray. Combine dry ingred: mix well. Mash banana in separate bowl. Combine milk, egg whites, honey and oil. Mix just until dry ingred. are moistened. Add banana. (seems really runny, but that's fine). Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 15-17 min or until golden brown. (2 weight watchers points). Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jessie Brown said...

love. love. love. your quilt! :) Super cute!!! I so would love to make one someday.
Also, I think it's wonderful someone saved your shoe :)